Thursday, January 04, 2007

Reading List

Ok so I guess it's about time I've started reading again. I decided to take a leave of absence from the whole reading thing when I finished school. Don't get me wrong, I love reading, but after having to read ~5 novels a week/2 weeks for 3 years I got a LITTLE tired and worn out. So for the past few months I've been easing my way back into it, but I still find myself speed reading through the pages with the constant notion that "I have to finish, I have to finish!!! 1 minute/page is too long!" haha. I think I can safely say that I'm starting to realize that I have NO DEADLINE! I can take a MONTH if I wanted, wow I've never had this luxury of time, it's like a whole new concept! Ok, so maybe I'm being a tad dramatic! But it will definitely be nice to read books again at my own leisure; I'm hoping to eventually re-read all the books I read over my university career...ok maybe not Fairie Queen!=) For now I'm reading some books that were put on hold while I was in school. So here's the list of books I'm reading and books I've finished just recently:

Completed:
Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss
-pretty good for the first 100pgs or so, then it starts to get a little redundant, but I still recommend it

Night by Elie Wiesel
-an excellent read! He's one of my favourite writers

On-going:
A Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren
-I'm on day 31/40, but so far its been pretty insightful
-it has definitely helped me answer some questions during some difficult times during the course of reading it

Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell pg 52/172
-I can't seem to get through this book, I keep picking it up and putting it down again
-it's like a bad version of a stream of consciousness style, and I already found it hard to get through Virginia Woolf, imagine a bad version?!
-maybe I've been reading too many scholarly novels?

All Rivers Run to the Sea, Elie Wiesel's Memoirs pg 42/418
-This is my most recent book and so far I'm loving it, but then again I might be biased =)

2 Comments:

At January 16, 2007 2:19 AM, Blogger SilQ said...

i liked eat shoots and leaves. with velvet elvis it took me forever to read too, and usually i'm good for one sitting... but i found that it's one of those books that i had to kinda open my eyes to things as i went along and it's like once i realized something i'd move on.. weird but good. i also would reccomend 'the deity formerly known as God'.. and anything about rabbits.. (watership down...the best book ever! except the bible). how is life and work going?

 
At January 24, 2007 5:47 PM, Blogger sillypoo said...

I've read watership down (children's lit class), it was an enjoyable book. Calvin loved it too, which is why he has a new found obsession with bunnies lol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home